Here are some small things, that have made a big difference, that we have started doing.
1. We shop at Wal-Mart instead of Ukrops and we buy generics. Surely I still make multiple weekly trips to Ukrops for their daily specials on bananas, bread, and milk, and the OCCASIONAL yummy pre-made foods! But, we do our weekly grocery shopping at WalMart and it's made a huge difference.
2. We do not eat out. Now, I would be lying if I said we NEVER eat out because I am guilty of the occasional 5 o'clock phone call to the hubby while he is on his way home from work to ask him to pick up dinner on his way. AND, we do occasionally eat out on the weekends. But, we are cut back tremendously. I would have to say that we only eat out once a month, and pick-up food to go maybe twice.
3. Generic Diapers. This was really hard at first and I have to admit that I was a diaper snob, and still am at heart! I would not and will not use a generic on a newborn under the age of 6ish months, but that's just me! After this age their sweet skin is not so sensitive and their tush can take something a little less than the best. We initially were using Pampers Swaddlers and did for the first 9 months. Then, we switched to LUVS...not impressed. We also tried BJ's store brand and was even less impressed. Our favorites, other than the swaddlers, are Pampers Baby Dry. But, recently (to save a little extra money) we switched to Targets store brand. And, I have to say that they are fine!! Certainly they are not Pampers, but they are good and I am satisfied!! I have to admit too that the Lilly's polka dotted bottom in those Target diapers is pretty stinkin' adorable!
AND....our newest thing that we are going to try is the "envelope system".
We are starting the first of next month and we are taking all of our money for the month that we have budgeted out and putting it into separate envelopes (aside from the money for bills and Dr.'s visits). The envelopes will be labeled grocery, diapers, gas, etc. I have heard of a lot of people recently who use this system and love it so we will give it a try!
Some of my favorite advice about how to save money is from my friends who already do it or have done it!
Although we do not take lavish vacations, go out for fine dining on a regular basis and buy Target diapers instead of Pampers I am getting in return the most important thing. I am able to spend less time at work and more time at home with my daughter. I will never get these years back with her and the small sacrifices are totally worth it!


No comments:
Post a Comment