Friday, October 2, 2009

Show Us Your Life - Baby Gear

Kelly, over at Kelly's Korner, is doing "Show Us Your Life - Baby Gear" today! When I was pregnant I turned to so many of my friends who had already had babies for advice on what I needed and didn't. It wasn't until after I had Lilly that I realized what works for some does not work for others. Here is what worked for us, and what didn't!

THINGS THAT WORKED FOR US:

The Miracle Blanket was our lifesaver! We started using it when Lilly was 4 weeks old, and really wish we had started sooner. It is a swaddling blanket that is 100x better than the rest. Lilly was sleeping through the night at 5 weeks old, and sleeping through the night meaning a solid 9 hours. When she was fussy during the day and she wasn't swaddled in the miracle blanket we would swaddle her right up and she quiet in seconds. I think that everyone should atleast try this! Lilly was resistant to it at first but after a couple days she loved it. My husband called it "the baby straight jacket".

2. Graco Pack N Play
We used this pack n play from day 1. At first we used it downstairs as a changing station and a place for Lilly to take naps so she was near us. Then, we used it for Lilly to play in and now, it has come in handy to take on trips. She loves is and we have gotten much use out of it! The only thing that I might change would be to have purchased one that was a bit smaller and less bulky. I chose style or practicality.
3. Fisher Price Rainforest SwingLilly had a love/hate relationship with this swing. At first she loved it, then she hated it, then loved it again. She took many naps in this swing and was one of the main reasons why I got anything done around my house when she was little. All of the bright colors, lights and sounds kept her completely fascinated! Although it was not very pretty sitting in my living room at first we quickly realized that it was well worth it and it grew on us!

4. Chico Travel SystemWe chose the Chico Travel System for our carrier/stroller. We LOVED it and it was well worth the money. The only thing that we did do was, once Lilly had outgrown the carrier we did purchase another lightweight stroller that was much easier for me to manage.

5. Bouncey Seat
The bouncey seat was something else that we got a ton of use out of. We put Lilly in it when she was itty bitty and even when she was bigger. It was easy to put on the table when we ate dinner so that she was still right there with us, throw in the car and take to the river for the weekend, put in the bathroom with me so that I could shower, and was lightweight to carry up and down the steps if we needed to. When Lilly was a little bit older her favorite thing to do was sit in her bouncey seat and watch a baby Einstein DVD which brings me to the next thing that we LOVED!

6. Baby Einstein DVD's
I can't say enough about how much Lilly loved these, and I swear that they are the reason today at 17 months old her vocabulary is as big as it is. She was in love with them and is still totally in love with the "Baby's First Moves" dvd.
7. Exersaucer
We started putting Lilly in her exersaucer at around 4ish months. At first she would just sit at stare and was done after a couple minutes. Once she really started being able to touch the different things and pull on the toys and make them make sounds she loved it. She would spin all around in it and pull and tug on everything. It was a lifesaver too once she started crawling if I needed her in one place for a second I could put her in it and she was happy!!
THINGS THAT DID NOT WORK FOR US:
1. Diaper Genie - We used the Diaper Genie until just recently, but hated it. If we had to do it over I would never buy it. It is smelly and a bigger pain than it's worth. We learned that putting the poopy diaper in a WalMart bag and putting them in a trash can then emptying every couple days worked better for us.
2. Bottle Warmer - We did not like the bottle warmer. For us we used hot water, and I have to admit that the easiest was putting the bottle in the microwave even though I know it is probably one of the number one not recommended things to do. We were extremely careful.
3. Wipe Warmer - We did not even buy one because I did not want to get her used to using warm wipes at home and then when we were out her screaming because the wipes were cold. Just something we did not personally see was a good investment.
I am so excited to go through and see what worked and did not work for everyone else. Hopefully I can get some other ideas for baby #2.


Photobucket

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Found your link from Kelly's Corner. Your title caught my eye. My husband and I have an almost 2 year old that we named Lillee as well. Always fun to find new blogs!!

Eliza said...

LOVE the swaddle blankets too! Lifesavers!

My new blog is up, would love to have you visit!